Addis Ababa Climate & Temperature
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is at 8°58'N, 38°47'E, 2324 m (7625 ft). See map.
- Addis Ababa has a humid subtropical mild summer climate that is mild with dry winters, mild rainy summers and moderate seasonality. This climate is usually found in the highlands of some tropical countries. (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cwb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Addis Ababa is situated in or near the subtropical moist forest biome.
- The mean annual temperature is 15.9 degrees Celsius (60.7 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 3 °C (5.4°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype truly hyperoceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 23.3°C (74°F) on average falling to 7.3°C (45.2°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 24.7°C (76.4°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 10.7°C (51.2°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 21°C (69.8°F) and average low temperatures are 10°C (50°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 22°C (71.6°F) during the day and lows of 8.3°C (47°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1089 mm (42.9 inches) which is equivalent to 1089 Litres/m² (26.71 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2439 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Addis Ababa you would come out nearest to the climate station at Atuona, French Polynesia where you would find a Tropical wet climate.
Addis Ababa Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Addis Ababa Climate Graph in Metric Units
Addis Ababa Climograph in English Units
Climate of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Kassala, Sudan - 766.6 kms (476.4 miles) NNW
- Halfa El Gedida, Sudan - 785.4 kms (488 miles) NNW
- El Showak, Sudan - 685.1 kms (425.7 miles) NNW
- Gedaref/ Azaza, Sudan - 672.7 kms (418 miles) NNW
- Sennar, Sudan - 759.7 kms (472.1 miles) NW
- Umm Benin, Sudan - 697.3 kms (433.3 miles) NW
- Abu Na'Ama, Sudan - 658.4 kms (409.1 miles) NW
- Gonder, Ethiopia - 422 kms (262.2 miles) NNW
- Damazin, Sudan - 574.7 kms (357.1 miles) WNW
- Renk, Sudan - 726.4 kms (451.4 miles) WNW
- Malakal, Sudan - 787.2 kms (489.2 miles) W
- Lodwar, Kenya - 739.8 kms (459.7 miles) SSW