Climate of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Average Weather
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is at 8°58'N, 38°47'E, 2324 m (7625 ft). See map.
- Addis Ababa has a humid subtropical mild summer climate that is mild with dry winters, mild rainy summers and moderate seasonality. This climate is usually found in the highlands of some tropical countries. (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cwb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Addis Ababa is situated in or near the subtropical moist forest biome.
- The annual mean temperature is 15.9 degrees Celsius (60.7 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 3 °C (5.4°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype truly hyperoceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 23.3°C (74°F) on average falling to 7.3°C (45.2°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 24.7°C (76.4°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 10.7°C (51.2°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 21°C (69.8°F) and average low temperatures are 10°C (50°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 22°C (71.6°F) during the day and lows of 8.3°C (47°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1089 mm (42.9 inches) which is equivalent to 1089 Litres/m² (26.71 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2439 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Addis Ababa you would come out nearest to the climate station at Atuona, French Polynesia where you would find a Tropical wet climate.
The climate table uses colour to represent the data so you can get a good idea about the climate at a glance. The colour also helps when comparing two or more locations that you can switch between in separate tabs in your browser. There are links along the side and top to the various sections where we are adding additional details including in the new discussion section where you can read and add posts about the various aspects!
Climate of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Discussion
We are pleased to announce the release of the new discussion section. Here you will discover a wealth of knowledge about the various aspects of the local climate presented by our international community. We would like to invite you to help get discussion started by visiting those locations you are familiar with. Is there something noteworthy about the climate there that you can enlighten us about? Discussion is subdivided into specific topics such as the months of the year and aspects such as day length and temperature. When you have an idea of something fascinating to share please visit the specific page most fitting and add your post using the simple interface. No registration or third party network login is necessary.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Kassala, Sudan - 766.6 kms (476.4 miles) NNW
- Halfa El Gedida, Sudan - 785.4 kms (488 miles) NNW
- El Showak, Sudan - 685.1 kms (425.7 miles) NNW
- Gedaref/ Azaza, Sudan - 672.7 kms (418 miles) NNW
- Sennar, Sudan - 759.7 kms (472.1 miles) NW
- Umm Benin, Sudan - 697.3 kms (433.3 miles) NW
- Abu Na'Ama, Sudan - 658.4 kms (409.1 miles) NW
- Gonder, Ethiopia - 422 kms (262.2 miles) NNW
- Damazin, Sudan - 574.7 kms (357.1 miles) WNW
- Renk, Sudan - 726.4 kms (451.4 miles) WNW
- Malakal, Sudan - 787.2 kms (489.2 miles) W
- Lodwar, Kenya - 739.8 kms (459.7 miles) SSW